Today’s trending stories in Australian home ownership and Home Loans.
- Coalition should adopt negative gearing plan
Remove tax incentives that unduly favour property investors, and more … incidence of bad and doubtful debts for banks if house prices were to fall.
- Is Preston, aka Depreston, really Melbourne’s most depressing suburb?
When the Thornbury-based, but internationally renowned, singer Courtney Barnett calls a song Depreston and proceeds to sing about looking to buy a California bungalow in Preston, youve got to wonder what damage that does to a suburb. Well, in this case, price-wise, nothing….
- Melbourne’s most searched suburbs for buying and renting
Whats in a name? An awful lot if you are buying property in Melbourne.
In an iconic city, quintessential postcodes are the perhaps the safest property bet, albeit some of the priciest.
Domain Group data shows Melbournes well-known suburbs in the leafy inner east, bayside and the hipster north are the first on bothbuyers and renters lists when looking for a new home.
The 20 most searched suburbs in Victoria in March on Domain…
- Wilston’s ‘worst house’ up for sale
It may be considered the worst house on the street, but this weathered Wilston house isboasting some spectacular city views.
While the houses around it were renovated, revamped and transformed into modern Queenslanders, the 20 Dibley Avenue cottageremained unchanged for decades.
Ironically,the owner is a builder, who lived in the house for almost 30 years. But wh…
- Huge pay cheques of Australian tradies revealed
The list was interesting reading for those planning home improvement projects. High house prices had led to increased proprietor confidence and thus…
- Rates cut quickly for depositors, borrowers still waiting
… with some banks waiting until late May for mortgage rate cuts to kick in. … that their savings rates are cut very, very quickly, while home loan rate cuts…
- Banks leave borrowers in dark on rate cuts
Almost half of the home loan market is leaving borrowers in the dark about … That means they’ll squeeze an estimated $1.25 million from mortgage…
- Election timing "perfect" for property market, says franchise head
The timing of the upcoming Federal Election has been welcomed by the head of major real estate franchise, who believes it will have little impact on what is traditionally the strongest period of market activity each year.
- RBA/ESA Economics Competition 2016
Media Release Number 2016-13: The Reserve Bank of Australia has launched this year’s RBA/ESA Economics Competition, in conjunction with the Economic Society of Australia (ESA) and the UNSW Economics Society.
- Major banks investigating mortgages backed by dodgy foreign income
Two of Australias major banks are investigating mortgages that have been backed by questionable foreign-income documentation
- Franchise offers lowest variable rate ever
A major mortgage franchise has announced its lowest variable rate ever offered
- Suspected home loan frauds plague Westpac, ANZ
ANZ and Westpac, two of Australias biggest banks, are investigating alleged fraud by several home loan borrowers who rely on foreign funds.
- Mortgage age increased to 85 by UK building society
Britains Nationwide Building Society increased its maximum age for mortgages from 75 to 85 to help them borrow later in life.