Today’s trending stories in Australian home ownership and Home Loans.
- Councils face resident wrath as they step up attempts to stave off development via heritage
In the genteel streets of some of Melbournes wealthiest suburbs, one of the citys biggest bugbears is again a hot topic: in the midst of a development frenzy, what properties are worthy of protection?
Some councils, already opposed to state government moves to unlock swaths of their patches to broader development, have deployed teams of heritage consultants on bicycles to assess which houses should be earmarked for protection.
Caught in the crossfire, homeowners ha…
- Primo Smallgoods heiress Kristie Ward buys $21 million Northbridge trophy
Heiress to the Primo Smallgoods fortune Kristie Ward has joined her brother Bradley Hunt on Sydneys trophy home market to buyone of the north shores most expensive properties….
- An embarrassment no more: How Coburg shook its jailhouse reputation
For a suburb that quite literally grew up in the jailhouse shadow, Coburg has done rather well for itself.
Opened in 1851, Her Majestys Prison Pentridge proved a social handicap to the inhabitants of this outpost eight kilometres north of Melbournes centre, who were embarrassed to say they lived in Pentridge (the areas name came from the English birthplace of the surveyors wife).
In 1867 a local priest convened a public meeting at which it was agreed …
- Properties in Durack, Leanyer booming
HOME ownership has become more of a reality in Darwin in the past two years as cheaper house prices offer affordability for buyers. In his latest…
- Post-crisis home buyers 'more satisfied' with finances
Cutting down on holidays and weekend drinks with friends to keep up with the mortgage on his first home wasn’t always easy for accountant Hadi…
- NAB report finds 2.4 million Australians financially vulnerable
The report, written by a team of researchers from the Centre for Social Impact in partnership with NAB, came as Australia’s largest mortgage insurance…
- Merewether properties prices rise and rise
The report also showed house prices had risen in Lake Macquarie by 8.3 per cent with the 2284 postcode, including Speers Point and Boolaroo,…
- “We don’t get a lot of broker complaints”: CIO
The ombudsman has acknowledged it receives far more complaints about residential lenders than it does about mortgage brokers