Today’s trending stories in Australian home ownership and Home Loans.
- Five apartment developments that revolutionised the way Sydneysiders live
Sydney has had a long history with apartments, dating right back to The Albany, completed in Macquarie Street in 1905.
But which developments were ground-breaking? We asked Dr Charles Pickett, architectural historian and co-author of Homes in the Sky, to help us come up with the top five.
Some were controversial, others inspired us to abandon the quarter-acre block. All of them changed the way we lived.
Nowadays, almost one in three Sydneysiders call high-density…
- I get by with a little help from strangers: Over 55s turning to Airbnb to pay bills
- Melbourne home owners amassing neighbouring land suitable for development
At $17.5m, Kew knockdown site listed for near double sale price
Neighbours team up to sell their properties en masse
- Peter Dutton part of the cynical charade on house prices
It was a pretty big kite the government launched before the budget. You know the drill: raise a topic, canvass various policy responses, see how the…
- Treasury secretary John Fraser: lending clamps on housing won't hit immediately
And Treasury’s attempt to improve home ownership levels for low-income Australians … To say you’re going to go out and target house prices, well, it’s a very … interest-only loans to 30 per cent of new residential mortgage lending.
- Home ownership: People with mortgages want 6pc more in wages to move, report says
Not so likely if you own: home owners with a mortgage ask up to 6 per cent more to change jobs than outright owners and that impedes labour mobility…
- What comes after the housing boom?
Yes, house prices have risen rapidly by more than 40 per cent nationally and 70 per … Investors account for 40 per cent of all new mortgage credit. … banks’ total lending to property investors to no more than 10 per cent each year.